Wednesday, September 26, 2007

domestic godess


I have never wanted to become a domestic godess in my life. I will begin by saying that. I never have had desires to bake bread or can my own vegetables, have a garden, or scrapbook. All these things by the way fall under the category of domestic godess in my head. BUT as I have gotten older there are things that for some reason I am finding internal desires to accomplish. I would love to have a garden now and I have to admit I am warming up to scrapbooking. But I did something today that in my mind qualifies me as a domestic godess.....in training. I baked bread! I baked my own bread, from scratch, without a bread maker. I have actually never even baked bread WITH a breadmaker but I made this from scratch. Now my mom will tell you that I have in fact baked bread before with her.....when I was little. I don't exactly think that counts as domestic godess training. Anything before the age of ten doesn't count. So today was a milestone for me that I am quite proud of, to be honest. I really never thought I would want to bake bread. What I found out today is that I really really enjoyed baking bread! What a surprising bonus! I could have been that my friend came over to show me how and basically stayed the whole day visiting as we "waited for the bread to rise". It was nice to have someone to talk to all day and hang out with and I am sure that had something to do with the positive imprint baking bread has on my brain. (On a side note Joselyn had so much fun helping especially kneading the bread. She even got to make four little rolls out of her bread dough. She was so excited.) So I am excited to try it on my own. And how delicious is fresh baked bread out of the oven with butter.....mmm..mmm...goood.

4 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

I am so proud of you!! I now know why I loved hanging out with you- we are so much alike! I have only baked bread 3 times and one time was with a bread maker. I get that domestic urge and do something like make bread or rolls or something else from scratch and Darrell acts like he's in heaven. Then he asks for it more, so I tell him that's why I can't do it very often- it would spoil him if he had a domesticated wife!!

Wendy said...

Nice job, Jess! It looks really good. As far as the scrapbooking thing goes, I would say this website more than qualifies for "scrapbooking" your memories! And I love the term "domestic goddess". I will have to put that on my next job application.

Heidi said...

Funny you should bring up this subject Jessica. The Glenn girls in the ward did a fundraiser and deliver homemade rolls to our house every Monday night. Taylor mentioned how Janette makes the best cinnamon rolls, then asked me why I don't make those kinds of things---I simply said, "Taylor, I don't know how--no one has ever shown me how to make rolls from scratch." How sad is that? Maybe baking from scratch should be a new hobby of mine.

Sarah said...

My image of "domestic goddess" has changed. No more making from scratch and having everything and everyone perfect. Times change! If I can make it look like it's from scratch--good for me! If I have had a shower--that's 2 points. And if the kids are alive and you can see the floor to my house--I am on a roll! You do great! Congrats on the bread!