Friday, October 26, 2007

mind of matter

We had a break through today and I am very very excited about it. Joselyn had to get more immunizations today, poor girl. We went in before school started to get their kindergarten shots but apparently there were a couple that she was missing so I had to take her back in today to get more shots. The first time we got the shots it was TORTURE for both of us. I actually cried and I haven't done that with my kids getting shots in a long time. So I was very wary to bring her back in. I think I was dreading it as much as she was. So today was the day. When we got in the doctors office I told her that we did in fact have to get a couple more shots and she FREAKED OUT! She resembled a wild animal at one point trying to climb under the table in the room. She was screaming like someone was trying murder her and she was terrified and the nurse and doctor were not even in the room yet. Needless to say I was expecting to have to call in a few other nurses to hold her down. I sent Maddy and Lilly out of the room when the nurse finally came in to administer the shots because Josey was really scaring Lilly. So she kept freaking out, crying, screaming, the whole thing. The nurse and I are trying to reason with her and talk to her and calm her down. I had promised her a big slurpee after the shots if she would be brave. So I said to her, "Remember last time when we got shots. It was over SUPER fast and it only hurt a little bit. And you don't want to miss out on that yummy slurpee do you?" She stopped crying and looked at me and said, "okay....I'll do it" in like the saddest most defeatest tone ever. But she completely stopped crying and got the shots and did not cry or scream or move a muscle through three shots. She just talked to me and the nurse while she was poking her. Now I have always known that Joselyn is a little bit of a head case but I was shocked. I was excited that she is finally to a point that she is able to reason through some hard decisions. I guess if she decides something that is just the way it is for her. It is good to know in the future.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Well Jess, Josey told Grandma and I that she didn't even cry for the shots..so I don't know who to believe :). Good Job Josey!! Shots are no fun at all but you were brave!!

Wendy said...

I love how kids have a "shut-off" button. If you can just find what distracts them or calms them they can just stop.

Darrell and Alissa said...

Josey os so brave- I wish I could find my kids shut off switch- with shots we're lucky if they come out walking, and i'm not exagurating!

Heidi said...

Oh, what we go thru as mothers to make our children feel better!!