Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ward Choir

I had a member of the bishopric visit me yesterday and I got handed some VERY bad news! I figured they wanted to give me a new calling but I wasn't sure what it was. I know they got it right because all I said to Dustin is please anything but ward choir! He came in and asked me to be the new ward choir director! I think he could feel the air leave the room as Dustin and I both couldn't breath. I of course said I would do it but I was about on the verge of tears for the rest of the day and completely depressed. I have sang in many choirs but A) this was over ten years ago and B) singing in a choir and directing a choir are two very different things. I have NEVER directed a choir. I think that Heavenly Father is teaching me a lesson though (as many callings do) because I have never been a consistent member of any ward choir......ever. I never go. And people always are trying to get me to go and I never show up. So now I am the one that is going to look stupid with no one singing in the choir! It only serves me right. I had our first practice today though and shockingly it went a lot better than I thought it was going to to go. I actually did a better job than I thought I would do. I guess after all those years of hearing a choir director it all came back to me. And I enjoyed it more that I thought I would. I was mourning the fact that I wasn't going to get to go home and take a nap like Dustin and I always do but it was really okay because I kinda enjoyed myself. I have this weird thing about ward choirs as well because one of the reasons I had never gone was because I never thought we sounded very good and it would drive me nuts. I think maybe as the director Heavenly Father has given me a different ear because I thought we even sounded pretty good! Anyway I am still upset that I have to stand backwards to the entire congregation once a month, so everyone can see my booty, and lead the choir.

8 comments:

Abby said...

Hi Jessica,I Know How You Felt when You had The Bishop Give You That Calling.. I had a Stake Person Come a Long Time ago and Ask If I would Be The Primary Stake Choirister.. HA! HA! You Know Your Aunt Abby... she doesn't sing!!! Or Read Music... But I was Leading The Music In Our ward Primary because Their wasn't anyone esle.I Guess I Faked Them all Out. They Thought I Knew More That I Did.. It Turned Out Ok. I Learned a Lot and was Only In There about 2months before The Released Me To Young womens.. HA! HA!

Wendy said...

That is one calling I would be completely lost in. But you have such an amazing voice, and it sounds like you are actually going to enjoy this. I might have to start going to my ward choir practice now. Does the choir director really feel unpopular? I should go just so that 1)I have some insurance against getting called as the director, and 2) if I do get called as a director, I will have seen a director in action and will have an idea of what to do!
Good luck, Jess! You will do awesome!

Darrell and Alissa said...

You'll do great! I am how ever very sorry you have to miss your naps in the afternoon- nothing says Sunday like a good nap!!

Jill Johnson said...

I have always wanted to be challenged with a calling that leads music just because I want to be better at it. But I wouldn't want to start with Choir, maybe Primary. You will be great. You would be great at anything you did.

Sarah said...

Man! Good luck to you. I can't read a note at all. I can tell if it goes up and down but have no idea other than that. I go to our choir and just listen to those around me. I think you should make a different statement on your back for those performances, like an advertisement. You will do great!!

Steve said...

I can not believe you have never sang in choir!! You have the the most beautiful voice. I bet you will be awesome at it though.

Heidi said...

You're gonna rock the ward choir!! In our first ward after we were married the bishop would call people to be in the choir!!

Gretch said...

That is funny. Isn't that how it goes, the one calling you fear is the one they put you in. I'm sure you will do a Fabulous job! Good luck! :)