Thursday, October 23, 2008

Rock-a-bye Baby

How weird is this? A couple of weeks ago I was singing Lilly the song "Rock-a-bye baby" and she got really serious and all of the sudden her little chin started quivering. I asked her what was wrong and she just started bawling! I had to hold her and let her cry for a few minutes. I couldn't figure it out. So I let her compose herself and (I know it sounds kinda mean) but I tried it again and when I started singing it she completely started bawling again! Then a couple days later Dustin happen to sing her that song and she just fell apart AGAIN! Dustin had no idea what had happened until I told him that I don't think she likes that song. So that was weird.

Then yesterday she found the little part to her baby mobile that used to hang over her crib that plays the music. It is that music box sounding music of Lullaby. She walked into my room with that same look and her little chin quivering. I scooped her up and she just started to bawl again for like five minutes. I just had to hold her. She kept saying, "It night night time". I kept telling her that is wasn't but she wanted to go to sleep. So we went into Maddy and Josey's room and I had to lay down on Maddy's bed and she had to lay down on Josey's bed and go to sleep. This is all while she is totally crying. The music stopped and she sat up and said, "Time to wake up!" Then she would wind it up again and just start crying and crying. So that was even weirder.

What is that all about? Do you think that she could be traumatized from some time that she was put to bed or something? It really made me feel bad and a little worried that she is going to have some weird phobia or something. She is going to hear the song "Rock-a-bye Baby" when she is 20 and just start bawling and won't know why!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I think I know! (this is Megan, BTW--Karen Muir's daughter). When I was a kid, I HATED HATED HATED Brahms' Lullaby. (I was maybe two or three at the time.) My great aunt had a teddy bear that played that tune, and she would play it for us when we stayed overnight at her house. I would cry myself to sleep over that song because it made me so homesick for my parents! I hated to go to sleep (especially far away from them) because I was never quite certain they'd be there in the morning. I think many kids go through a sort of separation anxiety at that age--they aren't quite sure Mommy and Daddy will be there when they wake up. I'm not sure what you can do to convince her you're there--but I think that's what's going on in her mind. Maybe if she had something of yours to cuddle when she went to sleep or woke up in the night, it would reassure her that you were still there AND would be back for her in the morning. Good luck!!!

Ducheznee said...

Google "pavlov".