Monday, June 22, 2009

Sacrifices we make as a mother....

So today we started swim lessons......if you don't think that is much of a sacrifice let me tell you that I decided to sign Maddy up for the pre-competition summer rec swim team. Why is this a sacrifice? Well it is EVERY day for almost 2 months.....at 1:00......yes that would be nap time for Lilly. This is the sacrifice I am talking about. Add too it that the pool isn't exactly near my house and it makes for an even BIGGER sacrifice as she can't walk or ride her bike and I don't know anyone else in the program to carpool with. Which means that I have to take her everyday and it is just a little too far to go all the way there and then turn around and go all the way home. So Lilly will pretty much be napless for a couple of months which translates into a cranky 3 year old...... which translates into a cranky mommy........but on the flip side it makes for one very happy and fulfilled 9 year old! She was so nervous that she wouldn't "make" the team. You have to be able to swim the length of the pool on your front and back. Luckily she MADE IT! And was very happy. She even got her very own Oregon City swim team cap. Because of her arthritis this is something that we have talked about for a long time and tried to really encourage because it is such a low impact sport that hopefully she can do for a very long time even if the arthritis flairs up again. So we are all excited to start this new sport!

Luckily for the first month Josey and Lilly have their swim lessons at the same time 2 days a week so they will get to swim as well. Today we all showed up for the first lesson and the first time we had been back to the pool since last summer. I wasn't sure how Lilly would react to being in the class by herself with a teacher but when the teacher asked her what her name was and she curtsied and said, "Lillian Elizabeth Moyes" I knew she was going to be JUST FINE! And she was probably a little more than just fine. She was borderline "the problem child" in the class. I say borderline because there was one other little boy that was a fraction worse than she was. She was just so excited that she kept jumping up and down in the water when she was supposed to be listening and she kept breaking the cardinal sin of NOT TAKING YOUR HAND OFF THE SIDE OF THE POOL. This one was hard for her, after all she is barely 3. I am really excited though because I think she is really ready for this and it will do her a lot of good to have to obey a teacher. As I was watching her from the bleachers, every five second her hand kept shooting up. I am pretty sure she didn't have any good answers for what the teacher was asking because when I went over to see if she needed to go potty I heard the teacher ask the class what they see when they look out the window on a sunny day and Lilly's hand shot up and she told the teacher the she sees pink things when she looks out the window on a sunny day. The look of confusion on the teachers face pretty much summed it up!And of course Josey did great in her class as well. She was completely offended when she realized that I had signed her up to be in level 3 again (because she was level 3 last summer). But as comfortable as she is in the water she really can't swim swim. She won't drown but she can't exactly swim either. So I had show her that she was the youngest kid in the class and so that means that she is actually a really good swimmer for a 7 year old. In actuality I have no idea if she was youngest. I just know that she was the smallest (and really when isn't she?) and it sounded good!


All three of my girls have taken swim lessons since they were 2 years old. I won't try and profess that this has given them many swimming skills other than being comfortable in the water generally but more than anything it is just fun! It really is always the highlight of their summer. This is the first summer though that all my kids are in swim lessons and I didn't have to either get in the pool with one of them, or entertain a small child at the same time. I got an entire half an hour to sit just watch.......it was weird and glorious at the same time. I will try to get better pictures of them actually swimming before the summer is over.

4 comments:

THE REBER FAMILY said...

Hooray for summer. I wish it would visit us here! Good luck with swim lessons. It looks fun.

Megan said...

Oh, my gosh--your girls are so freaking cute! I seriously can't imagine how you can do it with three, though--Camryn is a big enough handful for me and there's only one of her!!! I used to think my mom had it bad with twins, but we were the same age, so I'm convinced she had it easy!!! We had a playmate AND the same schedule. Heaven.

I would love the Bay area--it's like Portland, only warmer and bigger and even more artsy! I think my mom will be sad when we leave (IF we ever leave--and who knows where that'll be!) but at the same time, we've butted heads more than once since we've been under the same roof! Plus, Karl has never really fit into the Muir family at all (Katie's husband Kenny is much more like our family than Karl is), and that's caused more than its fair share of...challenges, shall we say? Mom and Jim will miss Camryn more than anything, but sometimes I suspect they'll be more than happy to see the back of me when the time comes! :) (Don't tell her I said that!)

Liz said...

Oh my word Lilly just makes me laugh.

Darrell and Alissa said...

Seriously, that is a HUGE sacrifice! Good luck when Lily and Josey are done with swim lessons- who knows, maybe the swishing sound of the kids swimming will lull Lilly to sleep?!:)