Tuesday, December 22, 2009

piano lessons

My girls love playing the piano. And I love that! I know that when I started taking piano lessons around the age of 9 I was in love! Of course it could have been the cute high school boy teacher that I had coming to my house.....some of you know who I am talking about! But seriously I really really enjoyed playing the piano and couldn't wait for new songs and the next lesson. So it has been fun to watch my girls have the same passion.

So last Friday our piano teacher had to cancel our lesson that day. I told the girls there was no piano when they got home from school and Josey started crying and Maddy was really upset. I was shocked by their reactions! I thought they would be fine just being able to come home on Friday and start their Christmas vacation. So I promised them we would reschedule it for this week. Today I was talking to my friend and she said that today would be a great day to reschedule. So I told her that we would have to do it in the afternoon because we were working on chores this morning. I told her if the girls finished their chores we would be able to come to piano lessons. We both just started laughing! Because really how often is it that you can get your kids to actually do chores, to earn a piano lesson! So I told the girls that I had rescheduled the lesson for this afternoon but if they didn't get their jobs done in time or well that they wouldn't be able to go. They jumped to attention and PROMISED to get them done. I am still laughing about it in my head! It is really funny to me that I have to tell them on a fairly regular basis to STOP practicing the piano because I need them to do other things. I am praying that this love of piano lasts for a while. I know it can change like the wind, but hopefully this is something that they will continue to love and learn.

2 comments:

Megan said...

This totally makes me LAUGH!!! I started piano when I was 12, and I liked it for awhile, but my teacher was far more used to teaching little kids (and she had the creepiest bug eyes you've ever seen), so my enthusiasm waned a bit and I quit once I started high school. I STILL regret that!!! I've loved nothing more my whole life than music, dance, and theater, and I 1) never practiced piano OR my clarinet enough to actually get good, 2) quit ballet and jazz dance because it required me to practice AND perform in front of others, 3) am terrified of acting, singing, OR dancing in front of ANYONE, and 4) am too busy to get over myself and relearn the clarinet (my fondest dream would be to play in the orchestra for local theater, or to really get over myself and try out for a part!). That's why I'm so incredibly envious of your girls--they're outgoing in ways I NEVER was!!! Here's hoping Camryn will NOT be like her mother (in this way, at least)....

JanEllenSanders said...

My girls are totally the same....I can't get them off of the piano to complete a task. They aren't as interested in piano lessons as the new material is always painful and we have moved to a more advanced teacher this year!