Saturday, September 29, 2007

IKEA vs. Home Depot




Last night Dustin and I did something we have NEVER done before. We were excited and I think Dustin was a little nervous but we did it anyway. We went to IKEA. We couldn't think of anything to do for our date and so Dustin suggested we drive out to the new IKEA here and take a look around. I really liked the store and I like how they set it up to direct you the entire time where to go and what to see. YOU HAVE TO STAY ON THE PATH. Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed when I walk into furniture stores and I don't know where to go first. But I could have stayed in IKEA for hours just looking at all the rooms. But we realized something while we were there. Dustin hates furniture stores as much as I hate home improvement stores. He was SOOOO funny in there and we were both laughing. He was seriously having mini panic attacks as we would walk through. He was so overwhelmed and just wanted to leave the store. He was like, "Do I have to pick a style or something?" Which I thought was really funny. He kept kinda cracking his neck like he was stressed and he just wanted to walk through as fast as we could. We still had a really good time and he was good to indulge me and take it a little slower if there was something I wanted to see, but we were laughing the whole time at how stressed it made him. But in his defense that is exactly how I feel when we walk into Home Depot or something. He is like a kid in a candy store and I can barely drag my feet into the store. It's like my brain immediately goes into overload and I just want to leave the store. I feel like there is too much to look at and I don't know where to go. I get kinda stressed and just overwhelmingly bored. It's not that I hate home improvement projects or that there aren't fun things to look at in Home Depot. But aisles and aisles of nuts and bolts and screws and fifty different kinds of drills just isn't exciting to me. I just want to go straight to the lighting dpeartment and look at all the pretty lights. Dustin just wanted to see if they had an electronics department in IKEA. He kept holding out hope that we would come across the electronics department on our little path. Anyway I think that I will have to go to IKEA by myself or with a girlfriend and I will leave Dustin to the home improvement stores.

6 comments:

Steve said...

We went the other night to Ikea also because we could not find anything else to do for a date!

Alli said...

did you guys have any swedish meatballs at the cafeteria? that's the best part of ikea!

Underwood's in Cali said...

I love Ikea. I use to go all the time in orange county and just look at stuff and think of how I can redo the house yet again. I am totally excited you found my blog (who was the connecting blog?) and don't mind at all if you read it. How are ya? 3 girls!! wow. the middle one (one the button) looks a lot like you. Do you still keep in contact with any of the San ramon folks? I was just there last weekend- it has changed so much. One of my brothers live in windemere and I didn't even know that was there. anyways, say hi anytime.- tricia

Jill Johnson said...

Ikea rocks. I went last time I was in Utah. I found all kind of cheap junk. The best part was the meatballs for lunch. and they have really good chocolate.

Heidi said...

I need to hit the Utah IKEA next time I'm up there---but I should drop Andrew off at Cabela's first so I can enjoy myself. I've heard wonderful things about the store.

Wendy said...

I'm with you Jess. I HATE walking through tool sections of any store, and I HATE going through Best Buy and Sportsman's Warehouse. My brain shuts down and I am completely bored. Poor Gary. He and I have such totally opposite interests!