Thursday, December 20, 2007

How wierd is this?

I have two things that are kinda wierd in this post.
1: The girls and I were showing Lilly the presents that they wrapped the other day. We were sitting by the tree and I was trying to get Lilly to not rip them open. Wishful thinking! The girls had put them in the tree to keep them out of reach of Lilly. So as Maddy is taking one out of the tree she stops and says, "Hey there is a bird nest in our tree!" We hop up and I spread the branches apart and sure enough there is in fact a bird nest in our tree! How wierd is that?! Without touching the nest I tried to peer in and see if there were any eggs in the nest and luckily there weren't. I think if there were any in there they probably were thrown violently out when we chopped it down, drug it over to our car, thrust it on top of the car and drove it home. I don't think any eggs could have stayed in the nest. Honestly I am surprised that the nest even stayed in the tree! I guess that is what you get when you cut your own tree out in the wild, a bunch of little spiders living on top and a birds nest in the middle. I just hope we can make it till Christmas before we find out that there have been a whole family of chipmunks living in the trunk.
2: The other night I helped the girls write letters to Santa Claus. They were so cute and Josey even wrote hers herself sounding out the words as best she could. I dated them and wrote how old they were and then they put them into envelopes and we went to mail them. I told them that you don't need a stamp to send a letter to the Santa because the mail people will just deliver it. They thought that was really cool! So we went out to the mailbox and I told them as well, that you don't put letters to Santa in the regular part where we usually send our letter out. I told them that we stick it in the part where we get our mail because that is where the mail man wants them. So we put them in and my intention was to go back out later that night and get them and stick them in their little scrapbooks to keep because they were so cute! Well I forgot. Today Maddy went out to get the mail and all of a sudden I remembered that their letters were in there. I started thinking about what to tell them about why the letters weren't taken by the mailman. She came in and gave me the mail and there were NO letters to Santa in there. The mail man actually took them! How wierd is that?! Don't you think he would have just left them in there!? They had no stamp on them and they said to Santa Claus at the North Pole. I am honestly kinda mad because I wanted those letters! What did he do with the letters anyway? Do you think he opened them up and read them and then threw them away? I am really disappointed that I forgot to go get them and that he took them. Maybe we will have to write more letters to Santa or something. My only other problem is now they keep checking the mailbox waiting for their letter back from Santa. So I think that I am going to have to write a letter back from Santa. My mom had a good idea though. She said I should write them and tell them that he sent an elf to the house and that the elf noticed that their rooms weren't clean and that they need to keep them clean till Christmas. I thought that was a good idea. I hope it works!

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow, a nest in a Christmas tree is definitely weird. And I think you should watch for the mailman to come tomorrow, and be out there to tell him you want your letters back! My mail lady always leaves my STAMPED mail (usually late bills) in my mailbox for several days before she will notice them and finally take them! Weird postal workers.

Liz said...

Poor guy, he probably thought he was doing you this great favor!

Heidi said...

I've always wondered where all the santa letters go---there's probably huge bins of them at post offices all over the country and they probably get thrown out!

The image of a chipmunk in your tree makes me think of the Christmas Vacation movie with Chevy Chase when a squirrel jumps out of their tree and runs around the house---so hilarious!!

Alli said...

have you heard of the christmas elf? it's a little elf that you can buy at the halmark store, and you tell your kids its a magical elf that santa sent to your house to watch your kids to make sure they are good, and then at night when know one is looking and asleep he goes back to report to santa. He is very still and pretends to me a statue throughout the day. It's fun because every day he is in a new spot from coming back from santa, and the girls can try and find his new hiding place.

Sarah said...

You should send all the letters to someone you know and have them write back mentioning things they know your kids did through the year. I'd ask the mailman-maybe start by saying, "Sorry about that, I forgot about them, where did they go?" and start there.

I like the elf idea from Alli, that's cute!

Darrell and Alissa said...

We have been to the post office a few too many times this year and they have a special red mailbox that say's Santa's name on it. The kids wanted to mail their letters there- but before i mail any letter I copy it on my computer- they are so stinkin cute! The past few years they think I've copied and mailed theirs- I haven't, I forgot, but I don't want to throw away the letters. We also type letters from santa to the girl's thanking them for the letters and being good and for the cookies. It always makes them smile. The toothfairy has been known to leave notes explaining why she missed coming the first night the tooth was left under the pillow- we are looser parents at that!