Thursday, March 06, 2008

The newest trend: Flat Butt Big Hips

Does anyone remember being young and looking at some of those 30 something moms and thinking how they were stuck in the eighties? They continued with the permed hair and the pastel make-up? I was a kid in the eighties, specifically 3-13 so I can't REALLY say that I grew up in the eighties because I think that you really get imprinted on during your high school years and for me that was in the early 90's. But recently I have seen a VERY disturbing trend that has me realizing that if it hasn't already happened, there is some teenager out there that is going to watch me walk by and think, "That is a mom stuck in the 90's" very soon. Here it is:

Really now, what is up with the high-waisted pants everywhere?! While I think that this particular model actually looks cute in these pants and heels I can't say that there are many of us out there that can really pull this off post-baby. If you have even one hip these are going to make you have a flat butt and big hips.....always flattering.

On American Idol last night there were multiple girls who were sporting the high waisted pants and this combined with the fact that you can buy them on Target.com has me worried that these might actually enter mainstream! I was hoping that maybe it would be one of those crazy "star" trends and pass all us commoners by but now I am not so sure. I have been tracking the tappered pant just praying at night that THAT trend doesn't move past punk teenager (it's not working) and now I have to add high waisted pants to my plea. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

I will give one positive about high waisted pants. No more cracks! I don't necessarily like the ultra low rise pants either partly because they are annoying to wear and partly because I have seen one to many girls walking around the mall with either a little hint of crack in the back or too much chubbiness hanging off the sides with a shirt that is too sizes too small (you know you have seen them!).

But why do we have to bring back ugly trends? I know that fashion designers and retailers are looking to make a buck and so they don't want the style to stay where it is for too long but for the love of everything cute don't bring back something ugly just to change the style! I mean how long is it going to be before this comes back in style?
Ah, acid washed high waisted overalls..... lovely. But you know what? As soon as Fergie or JLo are spotted wearing them around you can bet that there will be some kid out there that thinks this is the greatest in new fashion. When in reality this is the worst of old fashion!
So, I guess I am finally resigning myself to being a mom stuck in the 90's because I CAN'T wear these. Party on principal because they are ugly, and partly because I have already looked pregnant three times. I don't really want to look perma-pregnant in high waisted pants. Oh well I guess I have to be old now.

8 comments:

Kate said...

I was watching American Idol and thinking the exact same thing. Those pants are so ugly, and they are especially bad for those of us who don't have exactly flat tummies anymore. I totally agree with you.
I really am glad that the ultra-super-extremely-low-rise aren't as popular, though. And t-shirts are SO much longer these days. Great for the G-wearers.

By the way, I've totally been stalking your blog for a few months. I found the link from Debbie & Jason's. It's so fun to see you and Dustin & your cute girls.
xoxo,
Kate (Butler)

Heidi said...

What are you talking about Jessica? Acid wash is still in style isn't it?
I gave up trying to be fashionable long ago....as everyone can tell when they see my clothes!

Rachel said...

I think you're right. They're coming back. And a big amen to the ugly verdict!

Rachel said...

I think you're right. They're coming back. And a big amen to the ugly verdict!

THE REBER FAMILY said...

I'm sitting next to my mom in paraguay ad she just said "hey I had those pants and they were my favorite!" So watch who your calling ugly. I am sure our kids are going to look at pictures of us and say...mom I cant believe you wore that. We might as well give up...we cant avoid humiliating our kids.

JasonDebbie said...

O.K don't you know that I just bought thos high waisted mom jeans? No but really its annoying because high waister stuff only looks good on the super skinny, and I swore long ago that I would never wear tapered jeans again, so I will not be buying those any time soon. I alos swore I would never wear spandex biker shorts again like I used to wear ALL the time, so hopefully those dont come back in style again.

Marisa said...

Seriously, you just tell me when and what you want and I would love to make you shirts! As many as you want.

Liz said...

I have a put a comment on here twice and it still has not shown up! Well I will try again, I think that they are so UGLY! that was very profound.