Thursday, July 31, 2008

2 Major Milestones.......it's about time!


This week has marked the completion (hopefully) of two stages in two of my children's lives. Milestone #1: Josey no longer has to wear pull-ups to bed! I can't tell you how excited I am about this. One, because I don't have to buy them anymore, but two, she has wanted to wear panties to bed for so long and it just broke my heart to have to tell her no. Those that know of all the problems Josey has had with her going to the bathroom over the years can probably understand why she has had such a hard time getting the bathroom thing down. I really wanted her to be able to wear panties as badly as she wanted to wear them but I also knew that it would leave me washing sheet after sheet. She just wasn't ready. I would try to explain to her that everyone developed differently and that it was just fine that she couldn't quite make it to the bathroom at night but a 6 year old does NOT want to wear diapers. I even tried to tell her all the family members that wet the bed well into their childhood (I will keep the names omitted here in case anyone is embarrassed by this fact, and yes it definitely runs in the family). But these didn't really help either. So last week we ran out of pull-ups and I didn't even know for a couple of days because she hadn't said anything to me about. She often did this because she didn't want to wear them and then when she woke up in the middle of the night one night soaking wet I would know. But she didn't wet the bed and I kept forgetting that she didn't have any pull-ups and then a few days ago I realized that she hadn't wet the bed for over a week! Last night I caught her actually getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I was so excited for her! She still got her father's bladder (scientifically probably the smallest bladder humanly possible; just kidding) and I still have to find a bathroom about every half hour in every store we are in or every rest stop we pass on road trips but at least she can make it to the bathroom in every 24 hour period! HALLELUJAH!!!!








Next: Lilly no longer has a "baba". Yes that is right people she no longer has a "baba"! Actually I sort of couldn't find any of her bottle nipples the other day and so I told her that she could have a "baba sippy" instead of a "baba". I thought if I called it by sort of the same name she would be okay with that and she sort of was. I was putting her down for her nap and gave her the "baba sippy" and after just a little bit of crying and playing for an unusually long time in her crib before falling asleep, she did fall asleep. And then that night she went down the same way and that's it. All the bottles are being disposed of in the house and I am getting rid of them all before she can spot them. The problem is that I couldn't find two of them in the first place so I am sort of afraid that she is going to find them before I do! I had the same problem getting rid of Josey's pacifier. I was so scared she was going to find one that the "pacifier fairy" left behind. But no more bottles and pull-ups for now. Now I just need to take every one's advice and actually potty train Lilly(even though she has stopped taking her diaper off). Wouldn't that be a nice break!

3 comments:

Kate said...

That IS so exciting. My sister has a 6 year old who still has to wear "Goodnights." I have a 4-year-old who can hold his pee ALL DAY LONG, but he can't make it more than two hours in his bed. I have a feeling he'll be in pull-ups for a couple more years. And it totally is genetic. But that's SO exciting for Josey.
And no more babas is exciting too. A very huge week for your fam.

Steve said...

Lexi has the same bladder, she has to go ALL THE TIME. Every single store it drives me crazy. We will get to the park and 5 min later she will have to go even though we went before she even left. This is Liz not steve by the way

Darrell and Alissa said...

Hooray for Josey and Lilly! Ashlee has a tiny bladder also- if you even mention the bathroom she suddenly has to go- mental thing also I think! I just read the book thing for Dustin- it's not really jsut for Dad's and Daughters, but I just finished the BEST parenting book I've ever read- know why it's the best?! I actually finished it- that's how good it was! I hate self help books, but this one was really good with great ideas- some are too extreme for Darrell and I, but we are implementing many into our household now. It's called Parenting Breakthrough- so good to give ideas on how to make your kids independant adults- prepare them for the real world. Darrell really liked it too!