Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Musical Beds

How did Maddy and Josey end up in our bed......and Dustin and I on the couch and the twin mattress? This is what I am asking myself about our sleeping arrangements last night.

It all started out with a movie. Dustin was working late and so for FHE I told the girls we would make some popcorn and hot chocolate and watch a Halloween movie. I had recorded Hocus Pocus....anyone remember that from way back when? Anyway I couldn't really remember what it was about but I didn't remember it being very scary and it was rated PG. So we sit down to watch it and in the first scene the three witches suck the life out of a little girl......that should have been my first clue for my girls.

(Let me preface this by saying I have SUPER scaredy-cat girls. We don't really watch much that is scary or even not a cartoon so when they do see things that probably to the average kid wouldn't freak them out, my girls are terrified for days.)

SO! After the part where the kids were trapped in the graveyard and the witches were summoning up the dead bodies, I stopped it and said it was time for bed. LOVELY! So I got everyone to bed and the girls actually insisted on sleeping together which I don't usually allow on school nights. But they feel asleep together in Maddy's bed and a few hours later Dustin and I headed to bed.

At about 12:30, Maddy comes in and is scared. I don't usually let my girls get into bed with us but they can make a bed on the floor if they want to. Well at this particular point in time my bedroom is probably as messy or the messiest it has EVER been. Don't ask me why. There really isn't a good reason except that our TV broke in our bedroom and I am finding it much harder to clean in there without something in the background going on.....lame excuse I know. So I offer for her to make a bed on the floor but she says it is too messy. So I thought that she went back to bed. The next thing I know I am awakened as the middle of a sandwich, between Maddy and Josey, and Dustin is no where to be found. I am also in between the cracks of the pillows meaning I have no pillow as Maddy is taking up Dustin's and Josey is taking up mine. WHEN DID JOSEY GET IN THE BED? So I try to get comfortable but as all us parents know when we have sleeping children in the bed there IS NO comfortable position between them. And now by this point I am frying.....and it is 4 in the morning. So I finally just climb out of bed and move into Maddy's bed where the only blanket on the bed isn't long enough to cover my whole body and it is very thin. But I was too tired to care.

So I woke up this morning with my back hurting and really really tired and cold and I go into my bedroom to see my two sleeping beauties nice and cozy in my bed. Dustin ended up letting Maddy sleep in the bed and moving to the couch because she was so scared after I had fallen back to sleep. So he slept on the couch downstairs.

The girls thought it was quite funny that they took over our bed for the night. I informed them it wasn't going to happen again anytime soon! Why is it that the parents beds always seem more comfy and safe. I remember thinking this myself as a kid and so do my kids. They slept better even when neither of us were in there to protect them from the witches. Such a fun night!

3 comments:

Kate said...

When I have a newborn, I'm such a light sleeper. But now that my baby is one and has been sleeping thru the night since she was 4 months old... I'm a heavy sleeper. And I don't even notice half the time when my boys come into my bed. My 4 year old in particular seems to come in about 1 or 2 times per week. I wake up the same... smushed between Sam and Q... and it's SO not fun. I've never given up my bed though! You're too nice!
On another note, I haven't signed up for the grocery game yet... but you've inspired me to clip coupons (again... I used to do it faithfully), and I've been searching out the good deals on my own. I saved $10 today at the grocery store and $50 last week. So, thanks for the inspiration. I'm sure I'll try the grocery game sometime too. I can't believe you have such a huge filing cabinet for your coupons. That's awesome!

Rob, Ann, Ava, and Brooklyn said...

that's so funny...where was Lilly on all that fun? :)

Hatchgirls1 said...

Hey sis! You're such a great mom! Everytime I read your blog I'm inspired to be a more present mommy! I love you and can't wait to see you!