Friday, October 10, 2008

Your Child on Drugs

So Maddy had to undergo yet another hospital trip yesterday. We hoping that this will be the last for a while hopefully ever. She has had some serious problems with ear infections for probably the last year or so. Before that I had been getting concerned about her hearing because it seemed that she couldn't hear me. So I finally took her into an ENT and after about 2 months of trying different products to help him actually look in her ear (it was so full of tissue) he suggested that we put her under and he take a look inside. We thought that one of her tubes had possibly not fallen out from when she was 4.

So yesterday morning we went in bright and early and I have to say that St. Vincents hospital pediatric unit was amazing! The whole wing was decorated so fun and inviting, Maddy didn't want to leave. And when we were lead back to our room there was a little bear and a cute sticker already waiting for her on the bed. She was so excited. It really helped considering how nervous she was to be put under again.

So the nurse gave her some magical medicine that completely relaxed her and calmed her down. It was one of the funniest things we have ever seen. Maddy was HIGH! She could hardly speak by the time they were wheeling her out of the room. After I asked the nurse if it was normal and she said, "Oh yes! This is your child on drugs!", Dustin and I were hysterically laughing the whole time from the way she was acting. She was slurring all her words and just found enjoyment in the weirdest things. We were immensely grateful however that all the nerves and tears were put aside. Everything went fine and the doctor came out and said that there was a tube in there but it was just stuck to the outside of her eardrum. For some reason it had just never fallen out and so it had been getting increasingly inflamed over the last few years. So he cleaned it all out and she doesn't really remember a thing about the whole trip! The "happy" medicine didn't really wear off until way after the surgery. She couldn't even remember that we were all done. We had to keep telling her that we were all done.

The last couple of days she has had super human hearing. You know when your ear gets cleaned out and all of a sudden you seem to be able to hear things that normal people can't? She sat up in the hospital and asked me what that ticking sound was? I had no idea what she was talking about! Then today when we were in the kitchen I was trying to make her some lunch and usually I always had to increase my volume when asking a question directed at her so I asked her what she wanted to eat? She turned to me and said, "Mom I am right here you don't have to yell." I totally started laughing. I am SO glad that the ear situation is fixed and hopefully we don't have to worry about anymore icky ear infections....and she CAN HEAR!!!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh man, I'm glad everything went so well! That makes you feel good.

THE REBER FAMILY said...

I am so glad that everything went so well and that my fellow pediatric nurses are doing such a great job. I could really use some "happy medicine" some days! Love you guys....we miss you!

Wendy said...

Maddy, you are so brave! I am glad you can hear again!

Heidi said...

I had no idea she was having problems, but it sounds like everything went well - what a blessing.

I need some of that happy medicine!