Tuesday, June 30, 2009

my best friend

So I am admitting that come bedtime nice mommy sometimes tends to disappear. I am not exactly proud of this but it is almost as if the mommy switch gets switched off at 8:00 and exhausted, grumpy, Jessica rears her ugly head. Now when I can remain objective I try to put my kids to bed with a book, a song, a kiss on the head and a smile.........but I would seriously be leading you astray if I in any way did not admit that usually there is also a, "WHY ARE YOU UP? GO BACK TO BED AND DO NOT GET OUT OF BED AGAIN OR YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE".

But tonight I decided that I would lay down with Lilly for a few minutes in her bed because she has been having some serious "ghost" issues. So I am laying on the floor next to the bed and Lilly keeps peeking over the side at me. On about the 6th time when I was about to say, "Please lay down or I will have to leave", she looks at me and says, "Mommy you are my best friend". Seriously? I just wanted to pick that little monster up (because she had been a napless monster tonight) and just kiss her and squeeze her. I settled for a smile and a blown kiss and she was a happy girl. I hope I can stay her best friend for a long time!

4 comments:

THE REBER FAMILY said...

YES! Maybe then you can tell her "Best Friends don't let Best Friends GET TATOOS!!!!"
Seriously though I am with you. There are many a times that its like nails on chalk board for me to tolerate the bed time routine. Thats when I am SO SO grateful to have Jeff to take over. If I was a single parents i'd go nuts!
I love it when Cailtyn just says out of the blue "Mom...you're the best mom in the world" Such PRECIOUS LITTLE MONSTERS!!

Betsy Fox said...

I use to tell the kids that I turned into a witch at 9 pm so they couldn't see me after that-- it would be too scary. Nowdays if I can just get them into their rooms by 10:30-- I don't care what they do in there as long as I don't see them,- I think we are doing great. Perhaps I should raise my standards a little? Maybe in the fall.

Megan said...

My good mommy switch gets flipped off around 7:00 pm, and Camryn doesn't go to bed til 8:30!!! Seriously, sometimes by 6:00 I simply have NOTHING LEFT to offer Camryn. I am simply done for the day. Usually I can pull it together and get through a bath (done in the kitchen sink, which is ALWAYS full of dinner dishes when I need to use it), jammies (wrestled over the head of a kicking, wailing someone), a book (opened and closed repeatedly by the listener, who can't keep her hands in her lap while I finish a page), songs (Puff the Magic Dragon is getting old), and lights out, but some days I just want to dump Crankypants Camryn into her crib, shut the door, and tear down the stairs as fast as I can toward some me-time, turning the monitor off as I go!!!

Heidi said...

Ha - nice Mommy switch for me usually turns off around 8 during school, but she has been forced back until around 9 now in the summer months. When it's 9:30 or 10 I lose all patience!!