Friday, March 19, 2010

mother's worries

Why is it as moms that it is in our genetic make-up to worry so much? Okay at least it seems to be in mine when it comes to my kids. I remember having the epiphany after giving birth to my first daughter that the worrying never stops. I had thought that if I could just get through labor and have a perfectly formed baby that all my worries would be over. Then as she got a little older I realized that there are an infinite amount of things that could happen to my child as she grew up and that as her mother I would never completely be free of worry. It is no wonder I already look like I am 40 when I have a good 10 years (okay a few less than that) to go to reach the big 4-0.

Here is my point. When Ivy was born I was worried because for the first time with one of my children I wasn't sure if she was getting enough milk from me. I haven't had major problems nursing my girls before and whether or not I had enough milk was for sure not the concern. But with Ivy it has been a concern. She had been so fussy and seemed hungry all the time and didn't sleep great. And when I took her to her 2 week appointment and they told me that she was 2 ounces still below her birth weight I wanted to burst into tears. Who knew that 2 ounces could cause that much worry in a woman, but it did. We started supplementing occasionally with a bottle when she just seemed starving even after I had nursed her for hours on end. And I was sure to get up as many times as she needed at night to be feeding her because I have been concerned about those 2 little ounces.

Last night little Ivy slept 6 hours! And between other children crawling into my bed and yet other children wetting the bed I probably got a good 4 hours of sleep which is MARVELOUS considering the amount I have had the last few weeks. So instead of relishing this new energy I have this morning what am I doing? WORRYING! Why is she sleeping so much? Why did she not wake up starving to death and NEEDING to eat? Why is back asleep this morning for another couple of hours? Did someone switch my baby?

I remember a sister-in-law telling me that her doctor was telling her that mothers are so funny. They worry when the baby doesn't sleep enough and they worry when they sleep to much. They worry when the baby doesn't eat enough and they worry when they eat too much. I guess it is just our genetic make up to find something to worry about!

And by the way Ivy started smiling the other day.....it is a bit early......there must be something wrong with her.;)

3 comments:

Liz said...

So funny Jess! Good luck I hope that she will stop being fussy!

Alli said...

maybe she is turning over a new leaf. plus, I still LOVE that first picture of her. you have to blow that one up

THE REBER FAMILY said...

So funny. Mothers...WE are the ones who are crazy....but I suppose our children drive us to it :)