Friday, September 17, 2010

soccer mom

I was talking to my mom about my night the other night and she told me that I needed to blog about it because it was too funny. So here goes!

This is just a snapshot of what my life has been like this past month and will continue for another month until "Hello Dolly" is over and soccer season ends. I have turned into "The Soccer Mom". Having 3 kids in soccer means that Monday through Thursday and all day Saturday is spent at practices or games. I am not complaining, because I signed up for this, but I am realizing just how logistically hard it is to get everyone where they need to be all the time (and then add the play on top of it and a small baby and it is OUT OF CONTROL).

So Wednesday was my first activity as the new activity day leader. I was excited to get to know the girls and make our first activity fun so they would want to come back. I also knew that Maddy and Josey had soccer games at the same time 6:00, a half hour in opposite directions. Dustin had already been home early the night before because we had 2 soccer practices, Lilly's game and my Hello Dolly practice going on so he couldn't make it this second night in time to get one of them to their games. So Maddy had to ride with her coach while I took Josey to her game. So we had planned to start activity days at 4:15. Then Maddy's coach asked me to get Maddy to his house by 4:45. I realized that I was only going to be able to make to activity days for about 15 minutes. Luckily my partner was great about it and that part worked out. I had spent the afternoon trying to get all organized so that I wouldn't feel overwhelmed by it all. Everyones soccer stuff was packed and in the car including water bottles and balls and a snack for the drive over there. I had stocked the baby bag with baby food and juice and books for Lilly. I had packed the soccer chairs and even remembered everyones jackets in case it got cold. I knew we were going to be gone for almost 4 hours. I thought I was all prepared. So we left activity days and rushed over to Maddy's coach's house and dropped her off. Then we started over to Josey's game.

We weren't late.....and that was about the best thing that came out of the event. When we got to the game it was just lightly misting. All I kept thinking was, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T LET IT RAIN! Of course Josey's field was the farthest one from the parking lot, meaning that I couldn't just sit in the car and watch. So I put the baby in the stroller (which is always fun pushing on the grass) loaded up our two chairs and grabbed my GIGANTIC baby bag and started huffing it over to the field with a sick 4 year old in tow. We get over there and I get everything set up and instantly Ivy starts crying. I started getting out the food hoping she was just hungry. And then it starts to rain a little more. I was still trying to stay optimistic that it was going to stop for an hour. Rain was about the only thing I DIDN'T plan for. Then it starts raining harder. Luckily a friend had brought an extra umbrella and asked if I wanted to borrow it. And I am really glad it was there, because within the next few minutes it started POURING! So I am trying to feed the baby and keep everyones heads covered. Ivy is still crying. Then Lilly decided she needs to go potty. So I spot the port-a-potty and we start walking over. This is when I realize that the jeans I am wearing are WAY to big because they kept falling down! The bottoms were wet and I think that was weighing them down but I could have walked right out of them. So I am holding the crying baby, holding the umbrella and trying to pull my pants up while trying to help Lilly get into the port-a-potty (inside the port-a-potty was a whole other adventure). We get back to our seats......still in POURING rain and Josey gets nailed in the stomach with a cleat. So I have to get back up and walk around the field, in front of all the other parents, holding my crying baby and the borrowed umbrella and trying to keep my pants from falling off with Lilly who sounds like she is going to hack up a lung. Luckily Josey decided she needed to head home even though there was only 10 minutes left in the game, with a little encouragement on my part. So I had to walk all the way back to the car in the rain with everyone and get them all settled and then head back out into the rain to retrieve my chairs and stroller and baby bag that are seriously DRENCHED.

The whole way home all three girls cried. Everyone was cold and tired and hungry and had headaches. Seriously? I don't know why I even attempted to prepare anything because it was an utter disaster and I felt like I looked like one of those frazzled, unprepared, unorganized moms that has too many kids.......oh wait I am that lady and my pants don't fit.

8 comments:

JasonDebbie said...

But hey- wouldnt all women say that having their pants be too big is a GOOD thing? I know I would if that was me! j/k I have totally had those times where seriously everything possible starts to go wrong and you want to cry but don't have the time to because you are too busy trying to fix all the crap that is going wrong! :)

Abby said...

I Loved Your Story!! You are Great!! I've been There so many Times'''HA! HA!

Megan said...

I totally want to cry right along with you!!! And even reading that story made me feel shivery, damp, and headachy! But one thing's for sure...I totally don't feel sorry about your jeans being too big. EVERY SINGLE PAIR of jeans I own is too small to button (or even pull up all the way!!!), minus one pair I bought at a thrift store that is two sizes bigger than my old pre-Tamsin size. And a pair of maternity jeans I still have in circulation. Boo hoo hoo.

But seriously. What a rotten night!!! Too bad no one was kind enough to give you a hand--I would have if I'd been there!

Betsy Fox said...

I'm so glad you can laugh about it-- it means you are still mentally in an okay place!
And not being late wasn't the only good thing about the evening. Your pants being too big is an AWESOME thing! I want my pants to be too big right now!
You're a wonderful mom and I love to hear your stories.

THE REBER FAMILY said...

When I read this I really question our thinking that we want more than 4 kids. You are such a great mom. Love U!

Megan said...

BTW, Halloween, as everyone knows, is the BEST!!! I love the decorations, the crafts, the costumes, the music, the candy, and the movies (Hocus Pocus! Ichabod and Mr. Toad! The Nightmare Before Christmas! The Simpsons Halloween!).

Christmas? It's okayyyy...but too fraught with emotional baggage. And it's freaking freezing at Christmas. I'll take blustery fall color over snow anyday!

Liv said...

I HATE days like that. I hope your future soccer games are better!

Annie said...

He he, you made me laugh the whole time I read that. Such wonderful mommy moments, aren't they? You are a great mommy, Jess! Miss you.