Tuesday, August 21, 2007

the birds and the bees...

Well I have finally had to have "THE TALK" with Maddy this week. Anyone else who has children that wanted "THE TALK" can sympathize with me I am sure at how it seems to sneak up on you and all of a sudden you realize that your children aren't as small as you thought they were. We were in California, sitting at the park with my sister, my nine year old niece Claudia, Joselyn and Maddy when out of the blue she asks, "Mom, after you get married how do you have a baby?" Claudia starts to snicker and Sam and I just look at eachother with this surprised looks on our faces. I ask her what she means exactly and she repeats the question. So I decided the park was not the best place to discuss such private matters so I told her when we went inside I would talk to her about it. (By the way she must have been feeling very intellectual that day because during the same park visit she came up and asked me what Jewish people were exactly.) ANYWAY we went home and the subject didn't come up again so I thought I had avoided it for the time. We got back from California and of course it came up again and she asked me the same question. I took her into her room as I was tucking her in and I explained VERY generally how things worked and how a baby was made in mommy's body. She seemed placated for the time and didn't ask me anymore questions. The funniest part was when I went and informed Dustin that the questions had begun and I told him what I told her just in case it ever came up so we would be on the same page. He was more uncomfortable than Maddy was I think and he told me he thought she was way to young to be talking about such things. I disagree and I want to be honest with her up front so she feels comfortable talking to me about things and knows I will be honest with her. But I still can't believe that she is old enough to be talking about these things and it freaks me out a little. I guess Joselyn is going to be close behind since I am sure that Maddy will start informing her. Man I hate "THE TALK".

5 comments:

Jill Johnson said...

She is too young. I still haven't had "the talk" with Carter. He knows. We have talked enough that he gets it. He doesn't want to know. McKinley on the other hand asks lots of questions. It sucks huh?

Steve said...

Wow!! Sammy has never asked anything like that yet. I hope it stays that way for a couple more years!!

Heidi said...

Wow--you're very brave to have that discussion with her. Luckily no questions about that stuff from my kids yet. Today though Taylor did ask me what "gay" meant and I gave a very BROAD answer. The thing I hate about all of it is that they hear these things from kids at school and don't get correct info. To be completely honest, my parents NEVER had any discussion with me and it wasn't until the week before my wedding when my mom said, "Well, do you have any questions?" Yikes :)

Darrell and Alissa said...

We've had questions too- but from Ashlee, not Lexi. I know I was blushing when Ashlee asked the first time. I explained a little and Lexi was in the room. I asked if they had any more questions, deep inside I was hoping the answer was no. Lexi told me she didn't have any questions and didn't want to know what I already said! The next time the subject was brought up was when a pregnant lady got up to bare her testimony, and Ashlee asked very loudly how the baby got in! I about died- and then I heard a few snickers around. Deseret Book has a really good book- very basic and it let's you decide how detailed you want to get. It talks in a story fashion. I hate them getting older!!!

Anonymous said...

Jess I love reading your blog! I am obsessed with your girls... all of them! I feel like they are my own nieces hahaha is that weird? And Josey looks SO MUCH like Sam did as a kid! Ugghh you Reber girls are so unbelievably beautiful!