Thursday, August 23, 2007

FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so today is D day! The first soccer practice of the season and I am starting to wonder WHAT WAS I THINKING!???????? I can't do this! I spent two hours on the internet last night trying to come up with soccer practice drills appropriate for five year olds and realizing the whole time that I am WAY underqualified and have taken this WAY to casually I think. I am so scared that the parents are going to hate me for volunteering to coach even though I know that none of them did! I just hope that they are not expecting a lot. I am planning on having a parent meeting after the practice to talk to them about what Dustin and I plan for the team and what to expect with their kids. I just know that there are going to be those parents out there that are going to be annoyed that I am not teaching them to pass and fake dribbling and stuff. But I have a totally different philosophy and all the other head coaches and websites I found support me. I just want the kids to have fun. I want to teach them some basic skills of dribbling and how to kick the ball and stuff but honestly they are five! I just talked to a friend and she was complaining that when her son played when he was five they all just ran around the ball and nobody knew what they were doing and she blamed that on the coach not teaching them anything. I wanted to say that I thought it was just because they were five and they don't get how to pass. It is all about the individual and just kicking the ball at this age I think. But I am so scared that the parents are going to hate me and be really disappointed in my soccer coaching. HELP ME!!! Please anyone out there give me a pep talk. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do at the practice? I have some things planned but anyone new ideas would be greatly appreciated!
On a side note a finally found a picture that I can stand to look at of myself and I thought I would add it on. I always love seeing pictures on my family and friends that are actually doing the blogging so I thought others might like to see a picture of me as well. I love Lilly's face in this and check out the little piggies! I know it is bright and hard to see but they are there and SO cute.

5 comments:

Steve said...

YOu look GOOD!!
You know what I am the same as you I have Sam in soccer to have fun I could care less if she learns anything! I was annoyed because this coach is making them have practice!! And then he made them run laps in 100 degree weather. I think that they are old enough to just learn to get a long and have fun.

Heidi said...

Sorry Jess, I don't have any great words of advice for you and I know absolutely nothing about soccer, but if parents give you too much grief, I guess just hand them the whistle and clipboard and tell them to do it! Tell them you're not trying to make little David Beckhams, just trying to have a little fun! And I'm sure you'll have some great soccer stories to tell us!

Jill Johnson said...

I don't have much advice. I am the kind of mom that drops off and doesn't really care. If any parents have a problem with the way you coach, just politely tell them that is a great idea do you mind coming to practice and helping us learn that? It always worked really good in primary. They hardly ever took me up on it, and they never complained again!

Darrell and Alissa said...

My only advice is don't do what Lexi and Maddie's coach did!! I agree with everyone else- they're little and should have fun!

Anonymous said...

jess you look like claudia/julia in this pic.! in a good way i mean i guess they look like you! hahah