Friday, August 24, 2007

soccer update

Okay so all the freaking out was pointless. The first practice went REALLY well and the parents were really nice and just all very thankful that we took on the challenge to coach so their kids could play. I was really relieved but the wierdest thing happened to me. I don't have a problem normally getting up in front of people, it has never been something that makes me too nervous usually. I have found as I have gotten older the nervousness gets worse which I think is wierd. I think it is just being out of practice. As a teenager I was always up in front of people performing or talking in church or what not. It seemed that I had endless opportunities to be in front of people. After I left home the opportunities diminished substantially and it is very rare that I am actually up in front of people anymore which is fine with me, but now when the chance does come up I find myself getting nervous and I don't really know what to do with it. ANYWAY I was talking to the parents about parent involvement and support and seriously my mouth went COMPLETELY dry. That has never happened to me! It was so embarrasing. My lips were sticking to my teeth, I couldn't swallow because I had no fluid in my mouth and my tongue felt like it had swollen twice it's size. I had to tell them to hold on a minute while I found my daughters waterbottle to take a drink. I think they thought I was a freak! I probably would have if I saw somebodies lips sticking to the top of their gums......wierd! Oh well. The kids are REALLY cute and very enthususiastic. I actually think that it might end up being something I really enjoy doing. But I made two discoveries at the practice:




1. Dustin and I are more alike than we are different I think. You know how they say opposites attract, that wasn't the case with us. Apparently we were attracted to ourselves! We are definately different in many ways but I think we are very much alike and we probably would have both been really good elementary school teachers and I think we would have both liked it.




2. Parents are more than willing to help they just don't want to sign up to be "the coach". I passed around a sign up sheet for the parents to let me know what they would be willing to help out with and EVERY parent signed up for something. It is funny because I just don't think people want to be the "be all end all" of anything. Most people are reluctant leaders but really do want to be involved. SO Dustin and I will be the leaders and I will take FULL advantage of all the help that every parent wants to give. I even had a dad sign up to help coach with his son. It's like why didn't you just sign up to BE the coach!? He obviously wants to do it and he is hispanic or italian or something and his older son has been playing soccer for like eight years or something! I guarantee you that they would have done a better job actually coaching the kids but for whatever reason he was too scared to take on the challenge. I will be using him to help coach though I am sure and I am thankful for everyones willingness!

6 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

So funny that your mouth was dry! At least you had a water bottle handy! The first time I conducted RS I felt the same way- I don't like the attention on me!!

Hatchgirls1 said...

you are such a great mommy, jess!

Steve said...

I have always thought that you would be the funnest teacher

Heidi said...

See, I knew there would be a funny soccer story in your near future!!
You're a better person than I to take on a soccer team---hang in there!

Darrell and Alissa said...

Just wanted to let you know- I don't really think my bad luck was from an email- I just had a BAD day. I know I'm strange, but not that strange!!!
How do you do soccer with all the rain you guys get there? Do you play through it or cancel games? Also, have you read the book Twilight? A lot of cities close to you are mentioned in the book. It's embarrassing to say I love the books about Vampires- but they are really good!

Anonymous said...

So I am still laughing about the part where your mouth was dry. That has happened to me a couple times in my life (I guess I don't have the Reber confidence when it comes to performing!) and it sucks when it happens because there is absolutely nothing you can do! All the liquid in your mouth just vanishes. I just keep laughing when I think about your lips sticking to your teeth.