Saturday, September 08, 2007

disappointed but not discouraged

This is for my fellow marathoners out there ( Josey's first soccer game is below). I think you all check this blog more often then our other one so I decided to blog about my run in this one. The 8 miler was today and it was disgusting disappointment. It was the saddest run I have had thus far. I am very disappointed in myself but not exactly descouraged because I learned some very valuable lessons that I am gald I learned early on in the training. I know that we have many many more long runs to redeem myself and I will be shooting for that next saturday with the ten miler. Anyway lessons learned: 1. There really is something to eating enough fuel and hydrating. I haven't gotten to the part in the book yet about what and when to eat but I am going to read it this week even if I have to skip ahead. I realized as I got out there today that I hadn't eaten since dinner the night before. I was seriously fatigued and tired. I have never been so tired in any of my runs and I could barely run a mile in a half. I was also freakishly parched. 2: Adequate rest is essential. I only got 6 hours of sleep last night and then had a lot of adrenaline in me from the game and trying to corral all the kids for the pictures. When that was over I rushed home and fed everyone lunch got Lilly down for a nap and then immediately went running. I really needed to rest and eat something and gear up for the run. I literally could not make myself run. Usually I can force myself to keep going but I COULDN'T do it! It was really frustrating and I ended up only going about four mile and I walked about two of those. 3: I need to keep myself cooler. I went at noon and it was in the eighties, which I know isn't that hot but it was really really hot for me with the sun beating down on my face. Anyway good lessons and I am looking forward to redeeming myself next week. On the brightside my leg doesn't hurt one bit! Part of the reason i was up so late was because I was looking up shin splints and stress fractures and freaking myself out. I even sayed a prayer begging Heavenly Father to help me heal my shin and apparently it worked because I am in NO pain! I haven't felt that good in weeks, so that give me encouragement as well. Anyway I hope everyone elses runs went well and thanks again mom and Beck for the awesome nike-ipod combo. I LOVE it and I can see how it is going to be a really great help in accomplishing our goals. RUN GIRLS RUN! Love ya!

2 comments:

Steve said...

jess you are my hero I can not imagine even running 8 miles.

THE REBER FAMILY said...

Jes...dont worry my first 8 miler was my worst run ever. I still crossed the finish line. Keep going....you'll make it.