Monday, January 28, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley

June 23, 1910 - January 27, 2008

I just felt the need to acknowledge the passing of our prophet today. We found out last night as I know many of you did as well. I felt a little in shock because I think that I have taken for granted the fact that he has been with us for so long. We all watched as he has gotten older and older over the last 12 years but I guess I just didn't want to really think about him actually leaving us here. When Dustin's mom called to tell us the news I started to cry. It was honestly a reaction I didn't expect. It wasn't like this was completely unexpected given his age and frailty. But, like my friend Heidi, all I could think about was his reunion with his wife Marjorie. They weren't seperated for very long but I could only imagine how happy they were to see each other. We talked to our girls about what happened and they asked me why I was crying. I told them that I wasn't crying because I was sad, even though he will be greatly missed by many, but I was crying because I was so happy for him. He had finally completely his great mission on this earth and was reunited with his loved ones and we can only imagine our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ there to welcome him home. Dustin told the girls that there was probably a big party in heaven last night as such a great man was welcomed home. I can't stop thinking about him today. I am also very thankful for the way that our church is set up. It is such a comfort to know that the leadership of this church is set up as it should be so that this time of transition is smooth and not full of chaos. I will miss seeing him in conference. I loved President Hinckley.

1 comment:

Chrissytina said...

I really appreciated your post about Pres. Hinckley. He was an amazing man. I echo your comments.
-Christina