Wednesday, November 19, 2008

its a conundrum


Here is my problem.....tell me what you think. So we have lived here in Portland for almost exactly 18 months. We have lived in the same house and next to the same neighbors. While I was excited by the prospect of my neighbors when we moved in, things havent exactly panned out like I had hoped.

When we moved in we found out that right next door on the right (I will refer to them as the Rights) had three girls almost exactly my daughters ages. Then we found out the neighbors to our left ( I will refer to them as the Left's) had a son and a daughter that were Maddy's age and a year older. And then we found out that our neighbors across the street ( I will refer to them as the Street's) had a little girl Josey's age. Then we found out that the neighbors directly behind us over the fence ( I will refer to them as the Fences) had two girls almost the same ages as Maddy and Josey. Needless to say I was really excited to find out about all these prospect for new friends and friends close enough to play with and not have to set up a playdate. However after we moved in I realized that some of these friends were not meant to be.

So I decided in order to get to know some of our neighbors after we moved in I would bake some yummy cupcakes and take them around. While some of the neighbors seemed friendly and appreciative, some seemed a little weirded out. So we started playing with the Rights first and then after a series of very weird comments and experiences between me and the mom and Dustin and the dad (picture a man in a tank top wearing sunglasses at 8:00 at night....indoors, at back to school night....that's the neighbor, not Dustin) we sort of closed that book and our girls didn't end up playing very often. The Fences are behind us and while the girls seem nice, I don't really know the parents and there isn't anyway to get to their house without walking all the way down the street and up onto the other street which my girls have been too young to do by themselves. The Streets we found out are Jehovah's Witnesses and are very nice but seem to keep to themselves a little bit and I guess we are getting a taste of our own medicine when their grandma and niece came over wanting to preach religion to us! So the Lefts have become our most trusted avenue of friends but when their freaky older brother moved in (think tattoos, cigerettes, and a general appereance of unkept) I sort of nixed the girls going over to their house to play. So that has cooled for a while. To add to all the uncomfortableness both the Rights and the Lefts are stay-at-home dads......yeah. So that has kept me from really trying to get to know the parents because the most of the interaction I have is with the dads and I would really rather get to know the moms and I am not real comfortable letting my girls go play over there by themselves.

So recently the Rights and my girls have rekindled their friendship and started playing together again. This has kept my girls entertained and outside on these past few weeks of beautiful weather and their youngest sister and Lilly are the same age and they are finally old enough to actually interact and play a little bit together which has been fun for Lilly. But here is my problem (FINALLY! TOOK ME LONG ENOUGH TO GET HERE!)

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE PARENTS NAMES! I DON'T EVEN KNOW THEIR LAST NAME! So now what do I do? How awkward is this? We have now been talking a little bit since our kids are outside together and such and I keep having to get around saying their names and I have a feeling they probably don't remember ours either. So what should I do? Do I ask our neighbors of a year and a half what their names are again? Or do I just keep hoping that I won't have to say their names ever?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I have had this problem! Kids are pretty smart but I have discoverd if you ask simply, "How does your mom spell her name?" the kids tell you. You can always pass it off as all the different spellings so you wanted to make sure it was right. You may have to mkae them something (like goodies) with their names on a card. You could always google an address and see if their name comes up.

Darrell and Alissa said...

I would ask the kids- nto the parents. I am the queen of forgetting names, or thinking for some reason your name is something that it's not and calling you that name for like 6 months with out being corrected- a little embarrassing! Ask Maddy to ask the Mom what should I call you- she'll either give a first name or a last- that way you at least have a little to go by. Good luck- I don't envy your situation at all woman!! Uggg- I'm blushing for you!

Ashlee said...

Have your girls find out for you :) Have them ask their friends what their parents name are or you ask the friend what her parents' names are. That way you don't have to ask the parents directly :) Good luck!

Sheree in GA said...

Ask the mailman, he will know their names.

Annie said...

Oh my gosh, Jess, I miss you! You make me laugh! I have so been in this same situation. It is the most awkward, crappy thing. I honestly don't know what I'd do. Maybe ask your girls to ask their friends what their parents' names are? I dunno!!! But it is pretty funny! Miss and love ya!

Annie

Oh, we were in the airport the other day and security was checking out an Arab man and it made me think of you and Dustin. :o)

Ducheznee said...

Maybe they read your blog and will help you out next time you're face to face. Or not.